At Rosalie Bay, we like to savor the holiday season with a traditional Dominican dish: Tripe Soup. Prepared by our beloved Chef Seraphine, this classic dish will warm your heart and is sure to get you into a festive mood! Enjoy this during the holiday season at Zamaan, or bring the taste of Dominica into your home by following this recipe.
- 2 lbs (0.9kg) pork or beef tripe clean and stripped of fat
- ½ gallon (2 lt) water
- 4 limes, divided
- 2 teaspoons salt (or more to taste)
- A pinch of pepper
- 2 red onions chopped into small cubes
- ½ teaspoon mashed garlic
- ½ cup chopped celery
- 4 green bell peppers cut into small pieces
- Add 6 cups water (may not need it all)
- 3 large potatoes cut into cubes
- 1 large carrot diced
- Pinch of oregano
- Boil the tripe in the water until tender, adding the juice of two limes, cilantro, a teaspoon of salt and a pinch of pepper to the water.
- Cool to room temperature, remove the water and cut into small pieces.
- In a pot heat the oil over low heat, add the onions and garlic.
- Cook and stir until the onions become transparent. Add celery, and peppers. Cook covered over low heat for a minute. Add the oregano and stir. Add the tripe.
- Cook over medium heat for five minutes. Add 3 cups of water, potatoes and carrots.
- Simmer covered over low heat until the potatoes and carrots are cooked.
- Season with salt to taste.
- Garnish with the remaining limes cut into wedges and serve with hot sauce.
Notes: For Dumplings
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup flour
- ½ cup water
Mix all ingredients in a mixing bowl and knead (mix) to a stiff peak, when texture is good, make three balls with dough. Place on a cutting board, roll dough lengthwise and cut into small pieces.