Reduce. Reuse. Recycle.
Businesses with effective recycling programs not only significantly reduce waste within their own companies, but the environmental impact extends further as employees implement these responsible habits at home.
Does your business have a recycle program or do you believe that your current program could be improved? Here are a few tips on how you can reduce, reuse and recycle in your business.
- Contact your local waste management company in order to find out:
- What recycling services are available?
- What can be recycled?
- When are the collection dates?
- Assess the amount of recyclable materials and compostable products that your business generates each day
- Create a budget for collection fees and bin prices
- Based on that information, determine how many bins are needed and the necessary size to accommodate waste volume
- Place recycle bins in convenient locations
- Consider moving trash bins further away to help develop the habit of recycling
- Clearly label bins as either for recycling, compost or trash
- Write and post instructions for your recycling program:
- What materials belong in what bins?
- What are the responsibilities of the staff?
- Most importantly, train your staff on both the importance of recycling and the business recycling rules
- Finally, remember to monitor the project and reiterate changes as necessary to improve your business’ recycling efforts
Do you have other recycling tips? Leave them in a comment below!