We are thrilled to announce that Rosalie Bay Resort is a founding member of National Geographic Society’s newest foray in world-class travel experiences: National Geographic Unique Lodges of the World, a collection of boutique hotels in extraordinary places around the world with a demonstrated commitment to sustainability, authenticity and excellence.
- “These lodges share the Society’s vision of preserving the planet for future generations and they demonstrate that sustainability and a world-class guest experience can go hand-in-hand.” –Lynn Cutter, National Geographic’s executive vice president for Travel
National Geographic Unique Lodges of the World
The collection includes 24 charter properties on six continents, and our eco-boutique resort is the only property in the Caribbean to be included.
- “It’s an honor to join this prestigious organization that also shares our commitment to responsible tourism and sustainability and believes in celebrating our beautiful, talented Dominican community.” –Beverly Deikel, Rosalie Bay Resort owner
As part of a comprehensive vetting process, Rosalie Bay went through a rigorous evaluation process. Costas Christ, a world-renowned sustainable tourism expert and editor at large for National Geographic Traveler, coordinated an international team to inspect each lodge according to the following criteria:
- The Property: The design and character are unique and authentic and the property provides guests with a true sense of place by celebrating the surrounding landscape and cultural heritage.
- Guest Experience and Quality of Service: Guests are offered top-quality service and exceptional and inspiring experiences – from activities that enable them to engage with local people to wildlife encounters with seasoned naturalists.
- Sustainable Tourism Best Practices: The property demonstrates a commitment to conservation and green operations; it actively supports the protection of cultural heritage; and it provides tangible benefits to local communities.
“Travelers can feel confident when they stay in one of these lodges that they are helping to safeguard cultural and natural treasures in some of the world’s most incredible places.” –Costas Christ
National Geographic Exclusive
We are delighted to offer guests who book their stay through National Geographic Unique Lodges of the World a special “National Geographic Exclusive” experience, which includes a walk to the friendly village of Grand Fond for a glimpse of everyday life.
As a National Geographic guest, you will visit traditional Dominican homes and families while learning about island customs and meeting residents and farmers along the way. You will learn about the local flora and fauna from a private guide and even stop for a refreshing dip in a Rosalie River swimming hole on the return to our nature resort.
We are excited to embark on this new journey and welcome our first National Geographic guests.
For a complete list of National Geographic Unique Lodges of the World charter members click here.
As always, thank you for your continued support!