Grapefruit is a tangy yet sweet fruit packed with nutritional value. Although grapefruit are often available throughout the year, they are typically in season from winter through early spring and are currently abundant on Dominica.
Seasonal eating can make your food even more flavorful and nutritious, so we have chosen to highlight the health benefits* of this citrus fruit for Wellness Wednesday.
Named for the way they grow in grape-like clusters, grapefruit contain a high content of essential vitamins and minerals. This fruit is rich in Vitamin A, caroten, lycopene, Vitamin C and more.
Health Benefits of Grapefruit
- The Vitamin C found in grapefruit helps to fight colds
- The fruit helps clean the digestive track with its high water and fiber content
- The lycopene in the fruit helps decrease the likelihood of cancer of the prostate and esophagus
- Grapefruit decreases blood pressure and therefore helps to protect against stroke
- The low calorie fruit helps in weight loss and maintaining a healthy weight
- Grapefruit is good for your skin. It keeps collagen strong and protects the skin against environmental pollution and sun damage.
Experience the health benefits of grapefruit right at Rosalie Bay. Simply ask for fresh grapefruit juice while dining at Zamaan restaurant. In the meantime, you can make your own fresh juice at home.
*Important: Keep in mind that grapefruit juice may have interactions with various drugs. It is recommended that you talk to your Doctor before adding grapefruit into your diet.