Cane is one of many tropical plants grown locally on Dominica and at our nature resort. Many Dominicans enjoy drinking sugarcane juice and snacking on the raw stalk.
In fact, Chef Seraphine recalls her grandparents making cane juice with their own traditional cane press and using it to sweeten homemade cocoa tea.
Roaslie Bay Resort Maintenance Supervisor Daryl cutting cane
Benefits of Sugarcane
Sugarcane is a delicious, healthier alternative to refined white sugar. Less processed and refined, sugarcane is a naturally low-cholesterol, low-sodium food and offers many nutritional benefits.
- Sugarcane has a lower glycemic index than table sugar and can help reduce spikes in blood sugar levels.
- The antioxidants in sugar cane may help boost the immune system and fight against infections.
- It contains potassium, which may help aid in digestion.
- The high mineral content helps to protect teeth from decay.
- Sugarcane juice is a great substitute for energy drinks. When hiking the lush rainforests of Dominica, Chef Seraphine suggests you pack the juice or a cane stalk to quench your thirst!
Visit our wellness resort and discover more healthful foods at Zamaan Restaurant!