Weekly tips to bring island-inspired wellness into your everyday life from Rosalie Bay Resort. Spa therapists Alma George and Roydon Bannis contributed to this post.
Dominicans generally say, “A banana a day keeps the doctor away.” There is good reason. The fruit is an excellent source of vitamin B6 and soluble fiber, and moderate in vitamin C, manganese and potassium.
This delicious fruit of varying sizes, primarily green when mature and a beautiful yellow when ripe, is not indigenous to the Nature Island but has become one of the main staples in Dominica due to its innumerable and simple uses.
Cooked green it complements any meal. When ripe, it becomes perfect for eating whole or making a delicious shake, cakes, breads, cookies, wine, muffins, puddings and smoothies. It also benefits the skin, reducing inflammation and making the skin soft and supple, and why it is used in facial masks and body wraps at our Dominica spa.
Here are 15 other health benefits of the banana:
- Reduces depression due to tryptophan, an amino acid that can be converted to serotonin leading to improved mood.
- Fights anemia as it is high in iron, helping the body’s hemoglobin function.
- Aids in digestion with its fiber.
- Protects eyesight. According to a study by “The Archives Ophthalmology,” people who eat at least 3 servings of fruit per day have a 36% lower risk of developing macular degeneration, the primary cause of vision loss in older adults.
- Builds strong bones with the fructoligosaccaride probiotic bacteria, which can increase our body’s ability to absorb calcium.
- Promotes healthy kidneys with high amounts of the antioxidant phenolic compound, which is needed for effective detoxification of potential carcinogens.
- Lowers blood pressure with its perfect ratio of high potassium and low sodium.
- Prevents heartburn with a natural antacid.
- Cures morning sickness by keeping blood sugar levels up.
- Helps to quit smoking. Vitamins B6 and B12, potassium and magnesium help the body recover from the effect of nicotine withdrawal.
- Reduce risk for ulcers by reducing acidity and irritation.
- Improved nerve function with a high amount of B vitamins.
- Treats mosquito bites with the inside of the peel, which reduces swelling and itching.
- Minimizes stress. High potassium helps normalize the heartbeat and regulate the body’s water balance.
- Reduces stroke risk. Eating a banana as part of a regular diet can reduce the risk of death by stroke by as much as 40%, according to a study published by “International Journal of Cancer.”
So have a banana cooked, ripened or in a delicious shake each day. Here’s to your day!