Weekly tips to bring island-inspired wellness into your everyday life from the wellness and spa team at Rosalie Bay Resort. Post written by Spa and Wellness Coordinator Laura Lund.
You may be familiar with Swedish massage, but have you heard about hot stone massage (also called hot stone therapy)?
The Native Americans used hot stones warmed by fire to treat aching muscles. But Mary Nelson, a native of Tucson,Arizona, is generally credited for the modern revival of hot stone in massage.
Hot stone massage utilizes hands in connection with stones that are smooth and heated. The stones are either used as an extension of the hands or by placing them on the body while the therapist massages other parts of the body.
At Rosalie Bay Resort, we offer a Rosalie River Stone Massage that uses stones from the Rosalie River, which are heated, and combined with traditional massage techniques. This helps release, balance and restore harmony to the body at its deepest level.
Stone massage benefits the body in many other ways, including:
- Circulatory system – Provides lymphatic drainage, helps remove toxins, promotes cell hydration
- Musculoskeletal system – Increases range of motion, nourishes intervertebral ligaments, mobiles connective tissue elastin collagen, and softens adhesive tissue
- Nervous system – Calms the system, provides balance throughout the parasympathetic system, aids in the nourishment of nerve cells.
- Vascular system – Increases the flow and rate of blood circulation, and causes venous dilation
- Visceral/organ system – Provides relaxation, aids with decongestion, and helps in detoxification
Experience the healing powers of hot stone massage on your next Dominica vacation with the Rosalie River Stone Massage treatment at our spa.